Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

The eternal flame of Lumbini

On our way to Maya Devi we trundled by the eternal flame. Always curious I jumped out to read the inscription.
Eternal Flame at Lumbini inscription:
Eternal Flame at Lumbini inscription: This Eternal Flame Symbolising Peace was lit by the Chairman of the Lumbini Development Trust, His Royal Highness Prince Gyanendra Bir Bikram Shah on the occasion of the international year of peace 1986, on the 1st of November 1986.

Conclusion on spending a day around Lumbini’s temples

Again, there are lots of them. Unfortunately many are not fully completed and are no more than concrete and scaffolding. Others look near abandoned. Others again were closed.
They are spread out into zones. I’m really glad to have taken a rickshaw rather then cycle around or more insanely walk. Especially if visiting in either monsoon or hot seasons. I’d have liked to have brought a packed lunch and very glad I brought extra water. I stopped off at a small eatery with the rickshaw driver and found some soft drinks with ease. Good food was scarce.
The second best thing I did was leave the star attraction to last. The Maya Devi Temple – Birthplace of the Buddha and one of the most revered religious / ways of life places on earth. A place that my loyal rickshaw driver nearly got me kicked out of …

No comments:

Post a Comment